Thank you John Oliver!
What he says:
And other background/responses/commentary:
- on stand your ground laws
- on how the whole system failed Trayvon Martin
- engaging white privilege is not enough
- "I am not Trayvon Martin" -- and why that matters
- "why I'm in campus ministry"
- why Jesus' parables call us to empathy not sympathy
- Andrew Sullivan's first take
- a useful hypothetical
- having to live by the "platinum rule": that is, rather than "do unto others as you would have them do unto you," it becomes for people of color "do unto others as THEY would have you do unto them"
- an open letter to whites about the Trayvon Martin case
- 3 things privileged Christians can learn from the Zimmerman verdict
- Catholic theologian Bryan Massingale's compelling essay on "the blues" and Trayvon Martin
- President Obama's statement
- "not guilty, blood on the leaves" (echoes of Billie Holiday)
- and a collection put together by the blog Rhetoric, Race and Religion </ul> </p>
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.