How to be a good ally
- Don’t demand that those you are supporting produce proof of the inequality they are working to resist.?
- Do recognize that the shield of your privilege may blind you to the experience of others of injustice.?
- Don’t offer up your relationship with a member of the marginalized group as evidence of your understanding.?
- Do be open to learning and expanding your consciousness by listening more and talking less.?
- Don’t see yourself as the Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves. Or Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai. You are not the savior riding to the rescue on a white horse. Do notice that you are joining a group of people who are already working to save themselves.?
- Do realize the only requirement you need to enter ally-ship is a commitment to justice and human equality.</blockquote> by Melissa Harris-Perry
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.