Universal Basic Income Links
These are resources I’m collecting as I learn more about universal basic income, and work on integrating discussion of economics into my classes.
The web has proven to be an enormous resource for sharing materials! I can’t keep up with all of the wonderful things available, but I can at least point to some of my favorites.
General articles worth reading
- A great collection of articles from the Canadian Basic Income project
- A collection of articles from the Boston Review
- Basic income experiment in Ontario
- Silicon Valley on UBI
- Catholic thought on property
- Mark Zuckerman’s commencement address at Harvard
- Fast Company asks “is capitalism the real problem?”
- The poor need guaranteed income, not our charity
- “To my fellow plutocrats…”
- “The real future of work”
- A Basic Income Reading List
- The feminist case for a universal basic income
- BrainPickings on Leisure
- Universal basic bullshit
- How much is enough?
Theological and faith community articles
- Calling Luther to a labor ethic
- Economic Justice for All (USCCB statement)
- USCCB Labor Day statements archive
- Laudato ‘Si (Pope Francis’ 2015 encyclical)
- 7 Economic fundamentals
- UBI by Robert Reich
- Vox explains basic income
- 10 reasons for basic income
- Halldora Mogensen TEDx talk on basic income
- Federico Pistono TEDx talk on basic income
- Medium’s list of TED talks on the subject
- A set of talks held at the University of St. MIchael’s College in 2016 on UBI
- a set of talks held in February of 2018 at the University of St. Thomas
- an interview with Annie Lowrey
After Piketty: The Agenda for Economics and Inequality, Heather Boushey, Harvard College, 2017.
Give People Money, Annie Lowrey, Crown, 2018.
Basic Income: A Radical Proposal for Free Society and a Sane Economy, Phillipe Van Parijs and Yannick Vanderbrought, Harvard University Press, 2017.
Economics for the Common Good, Jean Tirole, Princeton University Press, 2017.
Move Fast and Break Things: How Facebook, Google, and Amazon Cornered Culture and Undermined Democracy, Jonathan Taplin, Hachette Book Group, 2017.
No More Work: Why Full Employment Is a Bad Idea, James Livingston, University of North Caroline Press, 2016.
Raising the Floor: How a Universal Basic Income Can Renew Our Economy and Rebuild the American Dream, Andy Stern, Perseus Books, 2016.
Utopia for Realists: How We Can Build the Ideal World, Rutger Bregman, Little Brown & Co., 2017.
Viking Economics: How the Scandinavians Got it Right and How We Can, Too, George Lakey, Melville House, 2016.
With Liberty and Dividends for All: How To Save Our MIddle Class When Jobs Don’t Pay Enough, Peter Barnes, Berrett-Koehler, 2014.