This is a web page of resources intended to augment the work of EL3539: Dismantling Racism and Christian Education, a course that is taught at Luther Seminary.
Learning at the intersection of dismantling racism and Christian education.
- Racial equity tools
- ELCA Resources on Racial Justice
- Unfair Campaign
- Race: The Power of an Illusion
- Teaching Tolerance
- Storytelling for Social Justice
- Sacred Conversation on Race (includes a really excellent resource guide for free download)
- Nat’l Ctr. for Cultural Competence
- Defining white privilege
- ELCA anti-racism resources
- “In God’s Image” (Bishop Flynn’s letter on racism)
- Understanding Race(AAA project)
- YWCA racial justice project
- Multicultural pavilion
- Americans Who Tell the Truth
- Racial Justice Collaboration in Theological Education
Mentioned In Class
- Vivian’s essay on guilt
- Steve Jobs’ commencement address
- CounterStories podcast
- AlterGuild podcast
- Indigenous liturgy resource at the ELCA
- Poverty Measures handout from Mary Simonson Clark
- Ten Questions full sheet
- Ten questions half sheet
- PPT on social policy analysis
- Animation of unequal opportunity race
- News clip on the “invention of race”
- You might be Lutheran if…
Demographic Sites For The Twin Cities
- Minneapolis/St. Paul neighborhood data
- Wilder Fdn. Research
- St. Paul Facing Race (St. Paul Fdn.)
- Assessment of racism in Dakota, Washington and Ramsey counties
- Homeless and near homeless people on MN Indian reservations
- MN School Integration Task Force Report
- Organizing Apprenticeship Project
- Unequal distribution of health in the Twin Cities
Films That are Useful
- The Color of Fear
- A Time for Burning
- Race: The Power of an Illusion
- Traces of the Trade
- Unfinished Business
- Making Whiteness Visible
- Do Black churches matter to the ELCA? (part 1)
- Do Black churches matter to the ELCA? (part 2)
- Brene Brown in the wake of Charlottesville
- Fruitvale Station
- On the anniversary of Strange Fruit
- The danger of a single story
- Kendall recommendations
- Standing Committee on Racism proposal
- Taylor Report (1994)
- Syllabus Project report (2002)
- Student Attitude Survey (2002)
- ELCA Talking Together as Christians about Tough Social Issues
- ELCA Talking Cross Culturally
- Welcoming Community statement
- Diversity and Mission planning
- 2015 Diversity Commitments
- An open letter from some faculty (to The Concord)
- Student letter from spring 2018
- Alumni letter from spring 2018
- ELCA Ethnic specific ministries
- Luther Welcome Statement
- Luther Vision Statement
- Luther history
- Willie James Jennings presenting as part of a Wabash-funded grant in 2012
- Faculty panel discussion on pedagogy following Jennings’ event
- Wabash grant final report on Jennings book group project
A Many Colored Kingdom: Multicultural Dynamics for Spiritual Formation by E. Conde-Frazier, S. Kang, and G. Parrett (Brazos, 2004).
Being Black, Teaching Black, edited by Nancy Lynne Westfield (Abingdon, 2008).
The Christian Imagination: Theology and the Origins of Race, Jennings (Yale, 2010).
Small Great Things, Jodi Picoult (Ballantine, 2016).
Reset the Heart: Unlearning Violence, Relearning Hope. Mai Anh Le Tran (Abingdon, 2017).
White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of our Racial Divide, Carol Anderson (Bloomsbury, 2017).
Racing to Justice: Transforming Our Conceptions of Self and Other to Build an Inclusive Society, John A. Powell (2012).
Critical Race Feminism: A Reader, ed. Adrien Katherine Wing (NYU, 2003).
The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver (Harper, 1998).
The Color of Church, Rodney Woo (B&H Publishing Group, 2009).
The Cross and the Lynching Tree, James Cone (Orbis, 2011).
Difficult Conversations by Stone, Patton, Heen and Fisher (Penguin, 2000).
Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon to White America, Eric Michael Dyson (St. Martin’s Press, 2017)
The Scandal of White Complicity in US Hyper-Incarceration: A Nonviolent Spirituality of White Resistance, Alex Mikulich, Laurie Cassidy (Palgrave-MacMillan, 2013).
Disrupting White Supremacy from Within: White People on What WE Need to Do, Harvey, et. al. (Pilgrim Press, 2004).
Ebony and Ivy: Race, Slavery, and the Troubled History of America’s Universities. Craig Steven Wilder (Bloomsbury Press, 2013).
Ending Racism in the Church, edited by S. Davies and Sr. Paul Teresa Hennessee (United Church Press, 1998)
Everyday Anti-Racism: Getting Real about Race in School, edited by Mica Pollock (The New Press, 2008).
The Handbook of Race and Adult Education, Sheared, et. al. (Jossey-Bass, 2010).
Learning to be White: Money, Race and God in America. Thandeka (Continuum, 2000).
The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, by Michelle Alexander (The New Press, 2010).
Proleptic Pedagogy, edited by Nancy Howell (Cascade Books, 2015).
Race Matters by Cornel West (Vintage, 1994).
Searching for Whitopia, R. Benjamin (Hyperion, 2009).
Storytelling for Social Justice: Connecting Narratives and the Arts in Anti-racist Teaching, Lee Ann Bell (Routledge, 2010).
Teaching for a Culturally Diverse and Racially Just World, edited by Eleazar Fernandez (Cascade Books, 2014).
That They May Be One: Catholic Social Teaching on Racism, Tribalism and Xenophobia, Dawn Nothwehr (Orbis, 2008).
The Church Enslaved, by Tony Campolo and Michael Battle (Fortress, 2005)
White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race, Ian Haney Lopez (NYU Press, 2006).
White Theology: Outing Supremacy in Modernity, by James. Perkinson (Palgrave MacMillan, 2004)